The History of Samoa is complex. Thought to have been first settled some 3500 years ago, Samoa remained relatively untouched until the early eighteenth century. Since then, many countries
have been involved in the politics and government of these South Pacific Islands. Whilst at first it appears Samoan cuisine is quite simple, with many variations around one ingredient, it is in fact adaptable and versatile, depending on what produce is available according to season and locality.
The Europeans and Chinese have been major influences on the cuisine. Traditional dishessuch as umu (oven-pit-baked food), sapasui (chop suey, from the late nineteenth-century contact with the United States), and puligi (a steamed pudding) have not changed much over the last few decades. Others have not done so well, such as suamasi (cracker soup), which is no longer eaten.
WHAT YOU NEED
250 g bean vermicelli (also known as cellophane, glass noodles, Chinese vermicelli)
2 tbs oil
1 large onion, diced
2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsgrated ginger
500 g of chopped meat,(beef or chicken.)
2 tbs soy sauce
100ml soy sauce
2 tbs ketchupmanis
1 small pakchoi, chopped
2 carrots, thinly sliced, diagonally
2 sticks celery, chopped
60g green beans, sliced diagonally
1 tsp vegetable, chicken or beef stock powder.
WHAT TO DO
• In a large pan or wok, fry the onion, garlic and ginger over a med/high heat until the onion is translucent.
• Add the meat and stir fry until just seared.
• Add the soy sauce and water (the water shouldalmost cover the meat).
• Let simmer over a med heat while the noodles areprepared as per the instructions on the pack (about5 minutes).
• Add the noodles plus 200ml of the water from thenoodles to the pan and the remaining ingredients. • At this stage, it will look more like a soup.
• Stir and let simmer over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
• Serve with steamed rice.
• Any vegetables can be used to suit your owntastes. Works well with white cabbage, broccoliand peas to name a few.
• Minced meat can be used if desired. Reduce thequantity to 300g.